Assemblage Peer Mentoring Programme Open Call August - October 2017
Assemblage's Peer Mentoring programme has been running successfully since 2010 seeing hundreds of participating artists grow, connect and collaborate. The programme provides group of artists with a platform to get together to discuss, critique and advise on one another's work and concepts as well as a fantastic opportunity to showcase the work developed as a result. Assemblage aims to uplift the art community and places great value on peer review and not producing work in isolation.
We invite artists to apply for the first cycle of 2017. This is how it works:
- The programme consists of a 5 week cycle, with three 3 hour sessions. Dates are listed below.
- There will be 3 groups with 1 mentor per group and 5 mentees per group.
- Each person in the group is allocated 30 minutes where the focus is on their own work: 5 minutes to present their work and challenges, followed by 25 minutes of feedback and discussion.
- The programme will consist of 3 sessions, ending with a group exhibition where mentees will showcase their work to the public.
- This exhibition will be at the Assemblage gallery space and will be show casing the work that they have developed through the programme.
- Please note: There is a cost for the selected applicants for the cycle of R520.00 - this covers coffee & tea, coordination, facilitation, and gallery costs.
- Mentors are invited owing to their experience in their own personal careers, as well as their experience in the industry. Mentors lead the sessions and provide honest and constructive feedback and critique to mentees, whilst encouraging other mentees (“peers”) to speak.
- Mentees are expected to commit to all 3 sessions over the 5 week period..
- We aim to target those who are serious about pursuing a career as an artist; who demonstrate technical skill; who have a conceptual or critical understanding of their work; and who want to situate themselves in a contemporary art market.
The sessions and exhibition for this cycle will be on the following dates (Please ONLY apply if you can make all these dates):
Session 1 - 12 Aug ( 9:15 - 12:30)
Session 2 - 2 Sept (9:15 - 12:30)
Session 3 - 16 Sept (9:15 - 12:30)
7 Oct - Showcase of works produced at Assemblage Project Space
Those wanting to apply, must submit the following in ONE document - pdf/word doc to firstname.lastname@example.org before Friday 4 August::
- Artist Biography (max 200 words)
- 1 page CV
- Artist Statement - tell us about your work in general (max 200 words)
- Motivation for why you would like to attend and what you would like to achieve during the programme
- 5 images of your work (files should not exceed 3mb each)
The top 15 applicants will be included in the programme.
Mentors to be annouced soon!